Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Meeting a President

Katie, as most of you have heard, loves learning about the presidents. One morning when I woke up, I heard that President Carter was coming to town to sign his new book. My mom, Jennifer, and I quickly made the decision that we should take Katie to meet her first president.

We decided to take the train into town to avoid traffic. It's always an experience, but it's one that Katie loves. It's fun for her to go on different types of transportation.

We got to the store a little more than an hour before the book signing began, and the line was already around half a block. Jennifer went in to buy some books while the rest of us got in line. Katie was pretty good to wait in line. When she got restless, we'd buy her a small snack or a bottle of water, and she was happy.

As the line started to move, it moved pretty quickly. We were so happy to get in the store. Then we had to wind around the first floor of the store, up the the second floor, around the second floor, and up to the third. At the top of that floor, we were checked by the secret service and then it was time to get the book signed.

One funny moment happened with the secret service agents. As you can imagine, there were quite a few who were standing around in their suits. Katie said to me, "What are all of the princes doing here? Do I get to see their princesses?" I guess any man in a suit is a prince in Katie's opinion.

After all of that wait, we turned the corner and saw President Carter and then things moved so quickly. The president signed very quickly, but wasn't able to speak very much due to the high number of people that had to be moved through the line. He did stop momentarily to stop and smile at Katie though. He quietly said, "Hi, Sweetie!"

Katie told me later that she felt very shy, but she gave him a quiet smile and answered, "Hello!" It was a short, but a very meaningful exchange for Katie.

I would have loved to get a picture of Katie with President Carter, but we weren't allowed to take pictures until after our book was signed and were given ten seconds to take a picture. We don't have a picture of them together, but Katie has her book and her memory!

When we left, Katie excitedly told Jennifer that it would be great if she could meet President Washington next!

We had to wait in a long line, but at least we were in the shade. 

Sometimes dancing helps to pass the time! 

As I waited in the line inside, I looked for a place to travel to next. 

There was President Carter!

 He was very nice to me!

This is the book I got.  

Here's the page that President Carter signed! 

It felt good to sit down on the train! 

Before long, I tried to read my book. My mom helped.

My favorite fact that I've learned in the book so far is that President Carter was a peanut farmer! That made me laugh! I didn't know that people farmed peanuts until my mom read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment