Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Meeting a Hero

It's no secret that Katie loves Mo Willems' books. She has all of the Piggie and Elephant stories, all of the Pigeon stories, all of the Knuffle Bunny stories, and has really loved the books in the Piggie and Elephant Love Reading series. When we heard that Mo Willems was going to be in town, of course we had to go. To prepare for her visit, Katie reviewed most of his books that she had, wrote him a letter, drew him a picture, and practiced what she might say to him.

When we got to the book store, we found a spot to sit and Katie enjoyed some of the interesting characters around us. She especially liked looking at the unusual number of people with blue, purple, and pink hair.

Mo Willems was everything we expected and more. He made us laugh when he was reading and when he was answering questions. We also enjoyed the author who worked with Mo Willems on The Good for Nothing Button!, Charise Mericle Harper. The two authors read their book together, and then Mo Willems read one of our favorite Elephant and Piggie books, I Really Like Slop.

After the reading, both authors met with every person who had come to see them. Katie gave Mo Willems her letter, and he signed her books and drew Piggie with his signature, which happens to be Katie's favorite character. It was a memory that will last a long time.

Before we went to the book signing, I got a lot of my books out to reread.

I love everything about Mo Willems' books!

I wrote him this letter before we went.

I also drew this picture of my favorite characters.

We weren't the first ones to arrive, but we got a pretty good seat.

I thought it was pretty funny to look around and see so much blue and purple and pink hair. I laughed at the thought of mine being that color.

I was so excited when Mo Willems came out!

Charise Harper was there to read their shared book.

When I got to meet Mo Willems, I gave him my letter and picture, and he talked to me!

I loved watching him draw Piggie! He was so fast!

Charise Harper drew the button from her book with her signature.

I loved meeting both of them, but especially Mo!

Charise Harper let me push the button she had that was like the one in the book.

Before we left, I got a picture by Mo Willems' drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment