Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day, 2015

We began our Mother's Day celebrations yesterday with our tradition of planting flowers at our house. It's the Mother's Day gift that keeps giving throughout the summer.

Katie is always very excited about the idea of planting flowers. This year, she went to the store with us to pick out the flowers that she wanted. I think she would have gotten every flower in the nursery if she could have.

When we got home, the weather was really heating up, and I wanted to wait to plant the flowers later in the day when we could be in the shade. However, Katie had other ideas.  As soon as we walked in the door, she exclaimed, "Let's go! I want to plant flowers!" When I explained my idea of waiting for some shade, she answered, "But I have a hat and new princess garden tools!"

I decided a little sun wouldn't hurt and gave in. Katie decided she needed her hat (which sort of balanced on top of her bun) and her umbrella (to give herself some shade). When we began digging in the soil, she also decided she needed her apron to keep any dirt off of her. She was quite a sight at times!

When we started, Katie helped scoop up soil to put in our planters. She helped me plant the flowers and then happily watered them.

When we got to the point of planting the flowers in the ground, she really wanted to continue helping in the whole process, but our soil isn't exactly easy to dig holes in - especially with her plastic princess tools. I tried to dig the holes for her to put the flowers in and cover the roots with soil, but she wanted to do things all by herself. She moved to a different spot than me and started to work.

She worked and worked and worked and then proudly announced, "I'm done!" She had "planted" one flower by setting it on top of the soil and moving some loose dirt on top of the roots with most of the roots still showing. She was so happy with her work and wouldn't let me touch it. (It got fixed later when she wasn't looking.) After her hard work of planting the one flower in our hard dirt, she announced, "I'm done with that! I'll just water."

After a lot of hot, hard work, we finally finished. Katie ran in and returned in her rain boots. Then she emptied her water cans on the sidewalk to make "the biggest puddle in the world," so she could jump in it. Happiness and celebration ended our adventure!

The heat wasn't going to bother me! I was prepared for it! 

I was in charge of putting some soil in the planters. 

I quickly decided to remove my hat while I was in the shade. 

After scooping the soil into the planter, I smoothed it out. 

I was ready to work on the planter in front of the house. 

I was becoming good friends with this bag of soil. 

When I went to work on my own, I had quite a set-up for myself. Too bad my mom had to work in the hot sun!

When we were done planting, I made the biggest puddle in the world to jump in! 

Just when I thought we were completely done, my mom reminded me that we had to re-pot an inside plant. Back to my bag of soil! 

Were we finally done? 

 
I think we were!

It was a lot of fun work! Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment