Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Time for Science

Katie loves using the science kit that she received for Christmas. It's so much fun to see her excitement and to watch her mind fill with the wonder of science.

Before you start any science experiment, you need to get your supplies out! 

We were going to mix colors with water and food coloring! 

We put red food coloring in one vial and yellow food coloring in the other vial. 

Then I slowly added some red water to the yellow water. I know that red and yellow make orange, but I've never seen the mix happen with water. I wasn't sure if it would work the same way.

I swirled the two colors together, and... 

…it did turn orange! 

It was completely a new color! 

As I got my supplies out for the next experiment, I told my mom the story of my magnifying glass in my room that I was sure had moved by itself. 

When I tell stories, I like to use my hands to make my points seem even more important! 

I couldn't believe how the magnifying glass could move by itself, or by a ghost! 

You've gotta take this seriously! 

After my story, we moved onto the Dancing Raisins experiment. My mom poured some Club Soda in the beaker, and I learned that carbon dioxide makes bubbles in the water. It was fun to watch the bubbles! 

I'm ready to start. 

We added more club soda to the beaker, and I used my tweezers to put five raisins in the same beaker. 

Once the five raisins were in, I ate the remaining raisins. 

As I watched the raisins, bubbles started to cover them, and then they started to dance! 

We were having lots of science fun! 

Our last experiment was trying to mix the "Un-mixables." I was most excited to finally use my funnel! 

We put water with red food coloring in the vial. 

Then we added some cooking oil to the top of the water, and I shook it up to try to mix them together. 

As it settled, I saw the thin layer of oil go back to the top. 

My mom added more oil, so it would be easier to see, and I shook and shook and shook it. 

Then I waited. 

It really does keep separating! I love science!

No comments:

Post a Comment