Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Friday, March 2, 2018

A Sad Evening

After we got back from Disneyland, we got Katie's fish, Alexander, back from my dad. Instead of taking him back to Jennifer's house, we put him in Katie's room. Since Mr. Limpet was interested in the fish, we always kept Katie's door closed.

One night, Katie and I went upstairs to get ready for bed, and we saw something on the upstairs landing. It was Alexander's fish food. The package was shredded and the red pellets of food were spread all over the carpet. Very quickly, I realized that Mr. Limpet would have gotten the food in Katie's room and my heart sunk. I looked over, and Katie's door was open.

We went in Katie's room, holding out hope for poor Alexander. We searched every corner of his tank, and there was no sign of the fish. There was, however, water all over Katie's dresser. Even though Katie was worried, I had to break the final news that Mr. Limpet had eaten Alexander.

Poor Katie's heart was broken. She was so mad at the cat, but before she could release her anger, the tears came and came and came. I did my best to comfort Katie and when the tears slowed, I tried to clean up the mess of the fish food all over. While I was out cleaning, Katie had an ongoing dialogue with herself in her room.

"I'm going to give him a punishment. First, I'm never playing with the cat again! Second, I hate that cat! Third, I'm never getting another cat! I'll never be nice again! I'll just walk away!"

I knew she didn't mean it, but I let her express her feelings to get them out. After we got everything cleaned up, we went downstairs and Katie cried some more. When she stopped, she sadly expressed, "This is not the life I was expecting. Not even the fish's!"

I felt terrible for Katie, but as she talked more and more, it was hard not to laugh at some of her expressions. She can be so verbal when she wants to, and she wanted to that night. She ended up writing letters to our elf, Nigel, and to Santa Claus so they would know that Mr. Limpet had been naughty. Then Katie started to write a letter to my friend, Noreen. She got a few words into Noreen's letter when she said, "Can you just type my letter on your computer? I'll tell you what to say. I have too much to say, and it won't fit on my paper!"

The process of letter writing helped Katie work through some of her emotions. At about this time, Mr. Limpet came to lay down next to Katie. He rolled over on his back, and Katie shouted, "HE'S LAYING ON THE FISH!" She was very concerned about the fish inside of the cat. She didn't forgive Mr. Limpet completely that night, but she tried really hard to forgive him most of the way.

I was really, really sad when I found out that Mr. Limpet ate Alexander! 

I decided to write to some important people. 

Here was my letter to Nigel, and... 

...here was my letter to Santa.

Mr. Limpet tried to cuddle up to me, and I tried to forgive him.

I showed my mom where the fish probably was. 

I'll miss you, Alexander!

No comments:

Post a Comment