Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Trying to Meet a President

When we heard that President Clinton would be in town to campaign for his wife, we knew we had to take Katie to the event. I got permission to leave work a little early, and my mom, my sister, and I drove Katie to the community college that was hosting the event. There was already a line waiting, but luckily, it wasn't that cold - at least it wasn't that cold for the first half hour. After that, the wind and rain started feeling colder and colder, but it was worth it for Katie to see another president.

The line finally started moving, and as we got to the outside of the building that was our final destination, some of the volunteers told us that we might be in the overflow room. It was disappointing news to hear, but we still held out hope while others in the line left. The next news we heard was that they were trying to fit more people in the original room with Bill Clinton. Our hopes were raised again as we moved forward. Then, about ten people in front of us in line, general admission was cut off, and we were led into the overflow room to watch the speech.

It wasn't nearly as exciting to be in the overflow room, but we stayed. At the end of the speech, another volunteer came in and told us to stay in the room because President Clinton sometimes comes in to thank the people in the overflow rooms. We waited, but it didn't work out. He had to move on with a scheduled dinner.

Katie was a little disappointed that she didn't meet President Clinton until we got to our car. Right as we got there, an elderly gentlemen was getting into his old Volkswagen next to us. Katie looked over and said, "Look! I think that's President Clinton! He's had a long day. I think he's driving home to the White House!" It was a positive way to end the experience!

We had a long line to wait in to get into the building. As I held out hope that I would meet President Clinton, I waved to the TV cameras behind us. 

When I got colder, Aunt Jennifer was nice enough to donate her coat and tie me in it! 

We were happy to get in a room to warm up - even if it was the overflow room. 

Even though I didn't get to see him give the speech in person, I listened to President Clinton with happiness. 

When the speech was over, I waited to see if I could meet the president. To pass the time, I tried to do toe dances like a ballerina. Someday I still want to meet you, President Clinton!

No comments:

Post a Comment