Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Funny Things

Katie makes me laugh all the time. With all the new words and phrases she learns each day, she feels happy to express what she wants. She says things with such sincerity. There's a lot of little things she says that I don't want to forget.

*****************************************
No Pictures Please


Katie was doing another song and dance performance, and I really wanted pictures or a video of what she was doing. All of a sudden, she stopped what she was doing and said very clearly, "No pictures please!" I guess everyone needs privacy sometimes.

*******************************************
I Need Something

Katie was home with my mom and sister. Out of nowhere, she exclaimed, "I need coffee!" None of us even knew she had any understanding of coffee. She may have heard the phrase once or twice from Grandma or Aunt Jennifer!

********************************************
Make It Please

I was playing with Katie's wooden blocks with her one night. After her creative Aunt Jennifer had played with her the night before, she discovered that almost anything could be built out of blocks. One of her favorite things Aunt Jennifer built was a house. So Katie looked at me and said, "Make a house." I did my best. When I was finished, she said "No," in a polite enough way and knocked my house over. I guess it didn't compare to Aunt Jennifer's mansion.

Then she said, "Make Costco!" I thought it was such a funny thing to say. She had never said any specific place by name until then. Maybe we go there too often! I was happy that Costco is a simple place to build. She was happy with my rectangular form and didn't knock it down. She has continued to challenge Aunt Jennifer with things like, "Make Bingle!" 


*********************************************
Just Talking

I love the way Katie says some of her words. Of course, I know she can't talk like this her whole life, but I have to say, I'll miss some of her pronunciations of words as they change.

Katie's most constant stuffed companion for the past year has been Winnie the Pooh. We have referred to her beloved bear as Winnie, Pooh Bear, Pooh, and Winnie the Pooh. She developed her own name for him - 'Nie Pooh.  The 'Nie part of the name is said just like the end of Winnie, but she doesn't pronounce Pooh yet.  Imagine saying "book" without the k at the end. Now replace the b with a p sound, and that's how she pronounces Pooh. We hear about 'Nie Pooh a lot.



One day Katie started saying, "I need baggois (pronounced bag gwa)!"  She said it over and over as we tried to figure out what she was talking about. Back wall? Back rubbed? Bag?  We were stumped. Finally she did her sign language for banana. We got her a banana and she was satisfied. Then we practiced with her. "Say ba. Say na. Say na. Say banana." She can very clearly say the three syllables separately, but when we ask her to put them together, it comes out, "Baggois!" Seems like she's making it a little tougher than it needs to be!


*********************************************
Being Polite

Katie is like most two-year olds. She certainly doesn't have perfect manners all the time. However she is expected to say please and thank you for things. In recent weeks, she has added another polite word to her repertoire -  "Sorry." She has loved overusing her new word.  She not only says sorry if she does something, but she says sorry if something is accidentally done to her.  Here is how our conversation went the other day after I accidentally opened the kitchen cupboard door and hit her in the head.

Katie: I sorry.

Me: It was my fault. I'm sorry. Are you okay?

Katie: I fine.

Katie then rubbed her head and very loudly and dramatically said, "Ouch!"



No comments:

Post a Comment