Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Christmas Dance Performance

Katie had her Christmas dance performance the weekend before Christmas. This performance was an invitation to observe a regular dance class, but the students got to wear their Christmas outfits.

The last time Katie was in a performance, she was a little distracted by the audience, so I talked to her ahead of time and told her to try to ignore the extra people who were there and concentrate on watching and listening to her teacher. She listened a little too well. Whenever she saw anyone in the audience, she turned her head sideways to avoid looking at them, and when people tried to talk to her, she didn't answer because she was ignoring those other people - just like she interpreted my directions. It was a little funny when I realized what she was doing, but I don't think I'll give that same advice anymore!

As I got ready to begin, I practiced holding out my dress in different ways. 

When we went in the room, I stood at the barre with my friend as she talked to the crowd. I didn't talk. I ignored everyone just like my mom told me to! 

When everyone got there, we sat on the floor for our warm-up exercises. 

While I did my warm-ups, I separated my dress from it's liner just because it was fun! 

We got to walk to the barre one at a time to show our visitors how we practice with it. 

All of us were ready to go! 

I love to stand on my toes! 

Sometimes it's hard though to stand on my toes and hold my hands above my head without leaning on the barre. 

We practiced tapping. 

This is our hardest move…putting one foot up on my knee, holding my arms above my head, and trying to balance. We try, try again! 

I tried to smile for pictures, but... 

…the barre runs right across my face! 

Did you see my dress though? 

We each got to jump through the hoops and practice our tiptoe walk. 

When my turn was done, I had a big smile and a bow ready! 

It was time for our Christmas dance. 

I was a little nervous because we hadn't practiced this dance very much! 

I would try my hardest though. 

When something is new, it's hard to smile and focus - especially when you're trying to ignore everyone! 

I was very careful to make sure I was standing on my marked spot. 

When our dance was done, our performance was officially over. 

Before I left the studio, I practiced twirling in my dress. 

Is it time for treats? 

Of course, I chose to have the cupcake that reminded me of Elsa!

This was our new dance. I was a little nervous, but I got through it!

No comments:

Post a Comment