Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Memories


I've once again been trying to record some of the everyday moments with Katie that make me laugh. They're moments that may seem small but moments that I don't want to forget.

********************
Bare-Footed


This summer, Katie made a big change. Unlike summers past where she insisted on wearing socks at all times other than when she was in the bath or the swimming pool, she decided that she preferred to go without socks most of the time. When she first decided she wanted to do that, she said, "Can I wear toes like you?" I thought it was such a funny phrase. She continues to use that term. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

********************
Ouch


One night Katie was in my bed for her bedtime stories. She leaned back and hit her head on my headboard. With my bed, it makes a pretty loud noise when you do that. The noise makes it sound like it would really hurt your head, but it doesn't really hurt. Without meaning to, Katie hit her head about three times. I said, "Gosh! You can't stop hitting your head tonight." She quickly responded, "I'm just a header hitter!" and then burst out laughing.

********************
Getting Ready for Disneyland


One night Aunt Jennifer was talking to Katie about our upcoming trip to Disneyland. Katie was of course excited and couldn't wait to go. She shouted, "The plane will land on our house! We can get on and it will take us to Disneyland!" I'm glad the plane only lands on our house when we go to Disneyland.
********************
Mr. Potato Head


Katie was introduced to Mr. Potato Head for the first time at the fair this year. It was lots of fun for her, and then she was excited to find a few Mr. Potato Heads in her classroom as well. I always think it's funny when she comes home and tells her story about Mr. Potato Head. To Katie, he's Mr. Tonado. With family from Idaho, she's going to have to learn the correct way of saying "potato" one of these days.

********************
Characters


Some of Katie's favorite toys are little plastic figurines from the Disney movies. She plays and plays with them. She means to refer to them as her "characters," but that word comes out as "collectors." One day, she was asking my mom for her collectors, and my mom had never heard that term. After asking Katie to repeat herself multiple times, she went on to try to look for "collectors" without knowing what she was looking for. Eventually Katie came to the conclusion that my mom just had bad hearing. She walked over to my mom, put her mouth to her ear, and very loudly and slowly said, "COLLECTORS!" My mom apologized and now knows what to look for when she hears collectors.

********************
Not Yet


Katie's words have become more and more clear as she has gotten older, but sometimes she'll still leave a sound off the beginning or the ending of a word. I love to hear her say "not yet" because it always comes out "not 'et." She has no problem pronouncing the word "yet" unless "not" comes before it. It's one of those phrases that I love for no reason other than it's cute when she says it.

********************
Curly Hair


Jennifer's hair has always been a fascination to Katie ever since the two of them met in China. She mentions quite often that "Aunt Jennifer has curly hair, and I have straight hair." One night, Katie thought it was funny because Jennifer had had her hair straightened, and Katie had curls in her hair when I took out her braids. "Look, Aunt Jennifer! I have curlies, and you don't!" 

********************
Silly Goose 



From the time Katie was little, we have called her a "silly goose" when she does something silly. She quickly picked up on that phrase and loves to call us a silly goose as well. Awhile back, she determined that I deserved something a little extra. Now, she calls me a "silly pinecone goose." I sometimes wonder what people must think when they hear her made up names.

********************
Red Robin



Katie very quickly picks up on jingles that she hears on the radio or on tv. One of the jingles she enjoys is, "Red Robin…yummmm!" When she first started singing it, she didn't have the correct words, and her word choice cracked us up. "Hang bunny…yummmm!" When we first heard it, we laughed and Katie, like most kids, enjoyed the laughs she received. After that, she learned that the first words were actually "Red Robin," but when she didn't get the same laughs, she went back to singing, "Hang Bunny…yummmmm!" 

She also recognizes their sign, so while we were out shopping one day, we heard a very excited Katie. "I see Hang Bunny!"

********************
Teeny Weeny




Over the summer, I noticed that Katie developed more and more descriptive language. She had heard the phrase, "teeny weeny" to describe something small, and she tried to use it. "Look at that tiny weenie cat." Everything small is still "tiny weenie."

No comments:

Post a Comment