Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Adding Numbers

Over the past year, Katie has developed an interest in math and numbers. Often, she'll just shout out a fact like "4+4 is 8!" When she's not telling us addition facts, she'll say something like, "10 is bigger than 3." My favorite is when she uses her favorite number, "eleventy." "Eleventy is bigger than 17."

One morning, Katie wanted me to give her some addition equations. I started to give her some problems that I knew she could solve on her fingers. We all know she counts on her fingers, but she wants us to think that she automatically knows the answers, so when we ask her a problem, she'll say, "Can I duck?" and she'll duck under a blanket or table to do her figuring. 

On this day, I was giving her turnaround problems in hopes that she'll soon makes the connection that 1+4 has the same answer as 4+1. She's not quite there yet, but she'll get there. At the end of the video, I tried to trick her with the problem of 5+7 since I knew she'd run out of fingers. 

Some of these problems are tricky!

No comments:

Post a Comment