Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Juneau, Alaska

On Monday morning, we woke up to a beautiful sunrise at sea. I looked out the window to see a whale and some sea otters swimming next to our veranda! I tried to show Katie, but it was hard for her to spot them since they kept ducking back underwater.

After the morning out at sea, we docked in Juneau. The weather was beautiful the whole time in Alaska. Everyone told us how rare it was to get such beautiful weather. We were told that Juneau only gets sunny days about 40 days a year, and we hit one of those days. In fact, the day we arrived, it was about 90 degrees, which is really rare for them.

Jennifer had arranged for us to go on a bus tour of the city with a few stops to get out of the bus. Our bus driver did a great job telling us about the city with lots of humor mixed into his talk.

After driving through town, we headed out to see the Mendenhall Glacier. When we arrived there, Jennifer and I took a fairly short hike to get a closer view of the glacier and a huge waterfall there. Her broken foot made it with only a little soreness!

After seeing the glacier, we stopped at a salmon hatchery. Katie loved watching the salmon jump out of the water everywhere she looked. We went into the visitor center where she was happy to look at the aquariums inside.

Once our tour was over, my dad went back to the ship, and the rest of us walked through the small town to look in some of the shops. Before we headed back onto the ship, we let Katie run around and dance on the docks, where she had lots of space.

This was our view out the ship in the morning.

I really liked the breakfast buffet.

I realized that a piece of bacon can look like a band-aid.

Then I decided to be silly while eating my bacon.

Everywhere we went in Alaska seemed to have good views.

I spent time with Grandma and Grandpa in the Crow's Nest while we waited to get to Juneau.

These were Aunt Jennifer's binoculars, but I liked using them most of the time.

This was Juneau as our ship was docking.

Juneau had a tram that went to the top of this very tall mountain.

While we waited for our tour, I decided to do a dance.

You've gotta make your arms move with your legs!

I kept dancing for awhile.

After my dance, I found my knees.

It's sort of fun to walk around like this.

Grandma liked my dance.

Grandma and Grandpa waited patiently on the bus to begin our tour. I kept waiting for them to sing, "The Wheels on the Bus."

We liked seeing the glacier!

This is where my mom and Aunt Jennifer hiked.

This was the big waterfall that they saw.

There were always big hunks of ice in the water by the glaciers.

After we got back on the bus, I decided to color.

When we got to the salmon hatchery, I saw the fish jumping and jumping.

I couldn't believe fish would jump right out of the water.

There were tons of fish in this tank.

Grandpa found a bear in the visitor center.

Aunt Jennifer found the aquariums there.

I followed this big crab around as he walked through the tank.

After the tour, we ate dinner. Grandma tried to cut the watermelon into small pieces, but I wanted the big hunk of it!

It was delicious!

After dinner, we explored the town. Then I got to play in this big space.

I really liked hugging poles on this trip.

Where's Katie?

Peek-a-boo!

Aunt Jennifer made us sit here for a picture, so we wouldn't forget where we were.

Bye, Juneau!

No comments:

Post a Comment