Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Celebrating Gotcha Day

I always try to take Gotcha Day off work, so I can spend it with Katie, but it didn't work out this year. I had a special event going on at school in the evening and a field trip to get ready for the following day, so I went to work and Katie spent the day with my mom and Garyldine. I made a quick trip home after school, and Katie went back to school with me for our Open House, so at least we spent some time together. We'll do something together soon to celebrate.

That morning, my mom had gone to her regular Starbucks and she saw a worker that we recently met. She had seen Katie one day when we were there, and she had asked about her adoption. It turns out that she was also adopted from China. Without even knowing that it was Katie's Gotcha Day, she had brought a gift for Katie that morning - a doll that she had had when she was young. The doll speaks English and Chinese. The world is full of kindness when you open your eyes to it.

During the day, Katie went to get her pictures taken to commemorate the day. Afterwards, Garyldine gave her a gift - a gift that was about as special as it could get for Katie…a Cinderella dress! Katie's Gotcha Day is also Garyldine's birthday. I'm not sure if Katie gave Garyldine her present, but she had chosen to get Garyldine a special gift too - "a beautiful apple."

Katie went home for some rest. As soon as I got home, Katie slowly came around the corner to show me she had found her Little Mermaid make-up and had applied her goopy lip gloss all over her cheeks and forehead in big clumps. I really wanted to take a picture of her blue and pink sparkly cheeks, but Katie was a little embarrassed. It will have to be a funny mental picture!

After I got her cleaned up, she showed me her new dress and insisted on putting it on for me. I only convinced her to get it off before going to school because I told her she'd be serving ice cream with me and her dress might get dirty. Off we went to school. Katie helped serve ice cream, she became the ice cream box smasher for the teachers, and she got to tour the school. Her most exciting classroom was the classroom that had pet turtles. The teacher even got one of the turtles out of the aquarium, so Katie could have a close-up view. That was a definite highlight for Katie!

When we got home, Katie had more gifts. My friends, Noreen and Joe, had sent her a package to celebrate the day, and Aunt Jody had left a gift for her as well. She felt like a very lucky girl that day!

When I got pictures, I took a picture with my new doll! 

After my mom cleaned up my make-up mess, I showed her my new dress! 

When I got to school, I helped my mom get set up. 

Look at the pretty box I found when I got home! 

What a beautiful tiara Aunt Jody got me! 

She also got me some fairy wings! 

When I thought it couldn't get any better, I found a package from Grammy Noreen and Grandpa Joe. 

While my mom helped me to open the package, I practiced my Ariel dance stretch. 

Look at all of that! 

I found two books, a card, and... 

…a Hello Kitty! I loved it all! 

After my bath, I got dressed up again. My dress plays a song, and I also wore my singing Ariel necklace. It was fun to play both songs at the same time! 

I gracefully showed Aunt Jennifer that my glass slippers were on too. 

Thank you, everybody, for making my day special!

No comments:

Post a Comment