Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day, 2013

For Mother's Day this year, Katie helped me once again as I planted flowers. It's our tradition to plant flowers at my mom's house and at our house on Mother's Day. I made the mistake of telling Katie a few days back that she was going to help plant flowers, so she has been expecting to plant flowers every time she has gone outside.

Last year, Katie "helped" by watching me from her stroller. When I was finished, she got out of her stroller to inspect my work and enjoy the flowers.

This year, there was no stroller. I didn't expect Katie to do tons of the work because she has never liked touching dirt, but she did more than I expected. She enjoyed moving the soil and digging holes with the garden trowel.

We started at my mom's house. Katie helped me spread the soil with her trowel and worked on digging a few holes for me. However, some of my mom's neighbors came by, and Katie switched to entertaining them, and she let me do most of the planting.

After Katie's socializing, we moved to our house, where Katie once again spread the soil for me. While I planted, Katie let me know that she liked the pink flowers. I kept talking to her about pink flowers while I continued to work on planting more flowers. I should have been watching her instead of the flowers though. When I finally looked up, I saw that she had pulled out all the pink flowers that I had already planted!  When I saw her, she proudly announced once again, "I like pink flowers!"

After re-planting the torn-out flowers, I went back to planting the rest of the flowers. By this time, Katie was tired of helping and switched to watching me. Every once in a while, she would shout, "Ant!" and come running over to jump in my lap to protect herself from the fearsome creatures that like to hang out by our house.  We finally did get finished, and Katie enjoyed watering and admiring all of the new flowers - especially the pink ones!

I get to plant flowers, Winnie!

Are these tools for me?

Wait! Do I have to touch the dirt?

This might be  fun!

I'll just throw this soil over there.

I can help you! 

We're all done with Grandma's flowers.

I'm just going to play in the soil for awhile.

Where should I move this?

I'll just start  planting these flowers.

I kept moving soil the whole time.

My mom makes me stand in front of the flowers every year,
and she's always shocked at how tall I look!

Do you see the beautiful pink flower?

No comments:

Post a Comment