Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Chinese New Year Celebration

Jennifer and I took Katie to our local Chinese New Year celebration. Katie was excited to do something different, but by the end of the night, she was ready to come home.

When we arrived at the celebration, we got caught in an absolute downpour. All of us were soaked to the bone by the time we reached the door. As we looked back toward the parking lot, the wind picked up with the rain and it looked like we were in a tropical storm. Luckily most of Katie's wetness was on her coat, so that was easy to remove for her to be comfortable.

We began by having a traditional Chinese meal. The plates were already filled, so we just had to take a plate and find a place to sit. Katie was excited to look at her plate of food, but she only ate a small bit of it, and I wasn't at all surprised by what she ate - rice and broccoli.

After dinner, we headed to the auditorium for the entertainment. Katie was excited because she knew she would see some dancers. As we walked in, a man handed Katie her first red envelope. When we got to our seats, she happily opened it up to find a dollar inside. She put her dollar in my purse for safekeeping and waited for the entertainment.

We didn't realize we had gotten to the auditorium so early, and we had to wait a long time for the entertainment. Katie handled most of the waiting well, but she really was anxious to see something. When the show started, the host came out and began talking and introducing other guests who talked as well. Some spoke Chinese and some spoke English. I don't think it really mattered what they were speaking to Katie. It mattered how long they were speaking. She just wanted to see the dancing.

By the time the first act was ready to come on, Katie was hungry since she didn't eat very much at dinner and started asking for popcorn. We told her there wasn't any popcorn there, but we could make her some at home. We shouldn't have said that because the next thing we heard was, "Take me home, please."

We stayed for the first three acts, and Katie got to see some of the dancing she was waiting for, but we ended up leaving early since Katie really just wanted her popcorn. After getting home and having popcorn, Katie told us that she had fun!

We hurried in from the car, but we still got soaked! 

I got a big plate of food. 

You can't beat a good piece of broccoli!

 It was fun to get my first red envelope!

I found a dollar in my envelope! 

My mom and I took a self-portrait when we got in the auditorium.
Where's the dancing? 

Aunt Jennifer checked the program, and she saw that the dancing would be coming. 

After a lot of waiting, I just wanted popcorn. 

These ladies played drums and danced. 

When I didn't get popcorn, I just relaxed on Aunt Jennifer's lap. I told her she was my pillow. 

The picture turned out blurry, but I had fun watching a fellow ballerina.
(Whenever Katie sees or hears about a ballerina, she always says, "She can dance! Just like me!")

No comments:

Post a Comment