Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

New Toys

One night, I was at the store with Katie. When she saw the toys, there was a lot she was interested in, but one thing in particular caught her eye. It was a Barbie Mermaid Hair Salon.

Katie: I love this so much. Please will you buy it?
Me: No, we're not buying toys right now. You can look at them and appreciate them, and if you like them, you can put it on a wish list.
Katie: I want to buy it right now.
Me: Do you have the money?
Katie: No.

After some quiet thinking time and gazing-at-the-toy time, the conversation continued.

Katie: Garyldine would love this so much.
Me: Yes, she would. (Katie knows Garyldine well!)
Katie: You will buy it for Garyldine?
Me: I don't know about that.
Katie: Let's buy it for Garyldine! When I go to her house, she can play with it. Then I'll bring it home!
Me: (Laughing at her tricky maneuvers in my head...) Let's just tell her about it, and she can look at it sometime.

Katie still wished she could get the toys, but she left without any sort of a fit. She just had a few longing glances over her shoulder as we walked away. I had thought her conversation was so funny about Garyldine, so I texted her the conversation, and we laughed over it.

A couple of days later, my mom went on a trip to Texas, and Katie was spending some time with Garyldine while I went to work. After the first day with Garyldine, she came home with the Barbie hair salon from Garyldine, the matching mermaid toy from Aunt Jody, and some small furniture that her dolls could use. According to Katie, Garyldine found the furniture in her house. When I asked her why she thought Garyldine had the little furniture, Katie looked at me like I was crazy and answered, "So she has somewhere to sit!"

Now Ariel has a mermaid friend! 

My new mermaid has pink stripes in her hair! 

Both dolls have places to sit! I love washing their hair in my new salon! 

When I took my new mermaid in the bathtub and got her hair wet, the pink stripes disappeared until her hair dried again. "It's magic!"
Thank you for my new toys, Aunt Jody and Garyldine!

No comments:

Post a Comment