Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Happy Birthday, Katie! Welcome to the Terrific Twos!

Katie celebrated her second birthday today. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. In the past, Katie has been overwhelmed by gifts and commotion. My parents, Garyldine, Jim, Jennifer and I were all there to celebrate the birthday.

While my dad, Jennifer, and I went to get dinner, my mom, Garyldine, and Jim decorated the house. There were lots of balloons, which Katie always likes. When she entered the house, she smiled at the balloons before it sunk in that there were lots of people at her house. She was pretty quiet and withdrawn for awhile, but she did end up opening up to everyone.

We ate dinner first, which Katie enjoyed since she had one of her favorites - buttered rice noodles.  Afterward, she opened gifts and opened gifts and opened gifts. She seemed to enjoy unwrapping gifts a lot more than she has in the past. She didn't want any help other than for someone to collect her pieces of wrapping paper as she handed them over.

After gifts came cake. Last year, Katie played in her frosting, but never ate any cake after the first taste. This year, I knew she'd eat the cake, but I was wrong. When offered a piece of cake, she shook her head no. When I took a tiny bit of the cake and put it in her mouth, she reached in and took it out and stuck her tongue out. While we enjoyed her cake, she ate a banana and was very happy with it.

Katie's ended up playing with her new things throughout the night. She had a very happy birthday. Thanks for being my party planner, Garyldine!

 I sure want to open my gift. Do I have to wait for everyone to wake up?

I sure like balloons, Grandma! 

I like to push them! 

I never get tired of rice noodles. 

I already like my new book. Thanks, Grammy Noreen and Grandpa Joe! 

Another book for me! 

Wow! I have my own zoo! I wish my mom could open the box! 

Grandpa looks good in Hello Kitty hats. 

Wow! A new coloring book with dogs! Woof, woof! 

This might be a good way to open my gift. 

Grandma was really good at tying all of my balloons to my toy cat. 

I trust you enough to hand you my paper! 

Why does water taste so good when it's in an elephant cup? 

Reading my Birthday Card 

Look at my polar bear! 

Who needs cake when you have a banana? 

Why is the cake coming towards me? 

Is that a second cake? I don't think I want it. 

Tell them I don't want the cake, Jim. 

Umm…no thanks! 

Katie's Reaction to the Cake

Katie's Cake After She Was Through Eating It 

I love playing with you, Aunt Jennifer! 

There's nothing left to do but to clap and cheer for my second birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment