Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Visiting a Volcano

The weekend before last, my family and I decided to visit one of our favorite places…Mt. St. Helens. After its eruption in 1980, the damaged area was declared a National Volcanic Monument. The 110,000 acre area has been left to respond naturally to the disaster. No planting is done there as scientists observe the miracle of nature. It has been amazing to watch the changes over the last decade. Although it would be hard to see in the pictures, we are always shocked at the changes we see each time we go there.

Katie was a good traveler, as always. When we got to the last visitor's center, we took Katie to watch the short movie about the disaster. I wondered what she would do since she's never been in a theater, but she was really good for the entire thing, watching all of the images on screen.

After the video, we went outside to look around. While my mom and Jennifer listened to the forest ranger's talk, I followed Katie around as she observed, danced, and talked. At one point, she walked over to look at the mountain. She pointed at it and looked at me and said, "Volcano?" When I said yes, she said, "Mountain fell down." I guess she was paying attention to the video.

I stopped for a picture in front of Mt. St. Helens right after I watched the movie about it. 

We could see Mt. Adams in the background. 

It was really windy up there. 

I like to hang out with Gaga. 

Grandma and Grandpa liked the mountain too. 

That's where the "mountain fell down." 

I got to run and dance while the forest ranger talked in a different area. 

It felt good to run around. 

I liked learning about the volcano!

No comments:

Post a Comment