Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Visiting the Pumpkin Patch, 2012

Last weekend, my mom, Jennifer, Garyldine, and I went to the pumpkin patch with Katie.  It was funny to think back to last year's visit to the pumpkin patch and realize that Katie wasn't even walking yet at that time. She has changed so much in the last year.

We started by having her stand next to the scarecrow that measures height. Katie wasn't interested in that at all. The scarecrow was not her friend yet. We gave up on that idea and went to visit the animals. Katie was interested in the goats, but she was a little scared to get close to them. She wasn't as scared of the sheep and spent some time "baa-ing" at him.  Once she started making animal noises, she couldn't stop. She oinked at the pig, quacked at the ducks, mooed at the cow, and hee-hawed at the donkey.  She was the bravest with the cow - even going as far as to touch its fence.

After visiting the animals and a short trip at the corn pit, it was time to wait for the hayride out to the pumpkin patch. While we waited in line, Katie was excited to find some chickens behind the fence next to us. She spent lots of time looking at the chickens and showing them to us.

The hayride was more enjoyable than last year because it wasn't quite as cold. Katie wasn't sure of it at first, but ended up liking the ride, especially when we passed some horses.

Once we got to the pumpkin patch, we appointed Garyldine as the wheelbarrow girl - mostly because she seemed the least likely to ever push a wheelbarrow. She was a good sport about it though!  We found some good pumpkins. When Katie found hers, she wasn't very happy that there was dirt on it, so she used one of Garyldine's hand wipes to try to get her pumpkin clean.

On the way back to the tractor, Garyldine accidentally spilled our pumpkins out of the wheelbarrow three times! She gained a lot of attention from onlookers. I didn't see anyone else tipping their wheelbarrows.  We didn't hold any grudges though. Our pumpkins still looked okay!

After our hayride back, we washed the pumpkins at the cleaning station, and Katie helped load them back into the wheelbarrow. Katie also had another chance to stand by the height-measuring scarecrow. Finally, Garyldine took Katie to visit the ponies, and I decided to take over wheelbarrow duties.  It was a fun day!

I don't want to stand here, Grandma. 

Hey, are you going to eat my snack, Garyldine? 

I like the goats, but I don't want to touch them!

Katie baa-ed a lot at him!

Another of Katie's Favorite Animals

I see a cow! 

Oops! I fell! 

I got the dirt off my knees, so I'm ready to go on! 

I might as well look over here while everyone else waits for the hayride. 

I found some chickens! 

I can make noises just like them! 

I don't know if things will get any better than the chickens. 

Hmmm…not sure what to think about the hayride… I think it'll be okay.

Do you see the horses? This hayride just got better!

I can hold my hands just like you.

What is this dirty thing I just found? 

Here Comes the Wheelbarrow Girl 

I found the pumpkin I like, but it has some dirt on it! 

I'll just clean it up a little. 

While I'm at it, I might as well clean this hay from the hayride too. 

I'm ready to push this thing! 

C'mon, Garyldine! I need your upper body strength. 

This has been fun. Did you guys like it?

Why do they keep putting me by this scarecrow? 

Now this is what I like! Meow, meow! 

Let me help you with that pumpkin! 

This one is pretty bumpy. 

I don't think I can lift this one by myself. 

I can get my pumpkin on my own! 

This is the perfect pumpkin... 

…and it has been the perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment