Red Thread...

There is an ancient Chinese belief which states that there is an invisible red thread that connects each of us to all of the individuals who have been, currently are, and will in the future be important to us in our lives.

This red thread can stretch, twist, and bend… but will never break.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Ballet

This summer, Katie moved into new dancing classes. One class that she wanted to take was ballet. She moved from her Pre-Ballet class to Ballet I. Because there are smaller class sizes in the summer, the dance studio combined Ballet I and Ballet II. The class is an hour and a half because that's how long Ballet II normally is. For Katie, that meant doubling the length of her class, which was a big jump. It is also more focused on ballet technique, which means that Katie has to do barre work for an hour before getting a break. It has been a challenging transition, but she is willing to stick it out. She has recognized that things get easier week by week.

One day when she was describing the class to me, she said, "We just have to be propered!" When I asked what that meant, she said, "We have to just be proper ballerinas and we don't dance." Her former teacher helped explain that as she learns more technique, she'll begin dancing more. I'm proud of her for not giving up.

We have to learn to stand in proper ballet positions for a long time. 

We do slow, deep plies with control. 

It's still hard to get my let up on the barre, but I try. 

By the end of this class, I'm ready to rest my legs!

No comments:

Post a Comment